10 min prep time, 30 minute cook time
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 Birds eye chilli’s, chopped (remove seeds for a mild heat)
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 2 maggi cubes
- 1tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 peeled potato, chopped
- 800g crushed tomatos
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 1 Uncle Johns Sweet Bread Roll
- 2 tbsp natural yoghurt to serve (optional)
- Using a heavy-based pan, heat the olive oil using a low heat. Add the onion to the oil stirring continually for 3-4 minutes until the onion is soft. Add the garlic, chilli, spices and tomato paste, and stir for an additional minute.
- Add tomatoes, potato and stock, and bring to the boil over a high heat. Once boiled, reduce to a low heat, partially cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Do this in batches to make it easier. Feel free to add some water if the soup is too thick.
- Return to the saucepan and season with the maggi cubes and black pepper. Place over medium heat and stir until warmed through.
- Serve, with natural yoghurt (optional) along with Uncle John’s Bakery Sweet Bread Roll.